Vinyl floor is the perfect choice for a glossy floor. Why perfect? Because it’s the most affordable, durable, and easy to clean option.
That’s why anyone would love to see it on their home floor. It not only makes your home elegant but also classy. But when this floor becomes dull and gloomy, how do you feel?
In the long run, due to the two sensitive things, UV rays and saltwater, the shining vinyl floors gradually lost their shiny surface.
UV rays cause floor discoloration, and saltwater makes the floor dry. Due to these two things, the floor loses its natural conditioning oil that helps the floor be in shape without fading.
But nothing to worry about. There are many solutions to regain the vinyl floor shine, and we will make you know them in this article. So, to learn all the techniques, be with us till the end.
Table of Contents
- 1 Five Easy Way To Make Your Vinyl Floors Shine
- 2 Frequently Asked Questions
- 3 Is White Vinegar Safe for Vinyl Floors?
- 4 Can You Use Dawn Dish Soap on Vinyl Floors?
- 5 What Is Safe to Use on Vinyl Flooring?
- 6 What Is the Ratio of Water to Vinegar for Cleaning?
- 7 How Can I Shine My Vinyl Floor without Waxing?
- 8 What Kind of Paint to Use on Textured Vinyl Kitchen Floors to Make Them Shine?
- 9 Conclusion
Five Easy Way To Make Your Vinyl Floors Shine
There are many vinyl floor shine products on the market. But you don’t have to search or buy them.
When you can make your vinyl floor shiner with the same effective cleaning recipe that our granny used to, why spend money buying expensive products?
In this guide, you will get to know the top five easy ways to bring back the shine of your vinyl floor. Let’s jump into them.
Clean the Vinyl Floor
Before you start any process to make your vinyl floor shine make sure the floor is spotless. If there is any spill or dirt available on the floor, pick them up.
Then Use warm water and mild soap/soft detergent solution to clean the floor. Clean the floor in two steps.
First, dip a sponge in the solution, wring it well, and then mop the floor with the solution.
Now use a soft cloth to clean the residue. Remember, if water enters in any of the cracked joints of the vinyl floor, the floor will come off and will be beyond any repair.
Instruments You Will Need
All the ingredients are affordable and easy to find. Most of them are available in your house.
If you don’t have them in the house, you can collect them from any local store; all the products are accessible.
White vinegar, baking soda, alcohol, baby oil, egg yolk, black soap, liquid detergent, water, bucket, soft cloth, and sponge are the needed products.
Not all the products you will need at once. We will tell you about the top five ways to shine the vinyl floor with these products. Read the methods, then choose the one you want to try.
Now collect all the products that the methods require.
The five simple recipes that will bring the shine back to the vinyl floor are-
Vinegar is the cleaning agent that comes to mind whenever you think of cleaning something. Don’t be a fool by thinking it only works for cleaning and sanitizing the floor.
It is also highly effective in keeping the floors glossy for a long time. It can remove all types of stains and stinks and make the vinyl floors shine naturally.
- Take half a cup of vinegar, a few drops of dish liquid, and one gallon of lukewarm water. Add a few drops of mineral oil or baby oil to make the vinyl more shiny and natural.
- Dip a cloth or sponge on the solution, wring it well and mop away the floor. Apply the mop twice, one will reduce the dullness, and the second mop will bring the shine back.
- Now take another clean sponge and dip it into plain warm water, wring it well and mop the floor one more to clean the left residue.
- Use a soft cloth to clean the water residue and make the floor dry immediately.
02. Baking soda:
Baking Soda is another effective cleaning agent that can remove dirt and grime easily. Baking soda has abrasive and scrubbing features that can help in glazing the floor.
- Make a solution of baking soda and water in a ratio of 6:1. Take 100 grams of baking soda in 6 liters of warm water. Mix until baking soda dissolves
- Dip the sponge, wring it well and clean the floor with it
- Then prepare a second solution with three tablespoons of alcohol and 3 liters of warm water
- Again dip a clean sponge, wring it well and mop away the floor with plain warm water
- Clean the residue with a clean, dry cloth and allow the floor to dry
Alcohol has the magical power to restore shine to the vinyl floor immediately. It spreads a beautiful scent in the house for a few hours and gives a heavenly feeling. If your floors need deep cleaning and refreshment, alcohol is the best option.
The ratio of using alcohol is 50% of alcohol and 50% water. But for safety reasons, we can’t use so much alcohol; it may damage the vinyl surface and our skin.
And don’t forget to take protection like wearing goggles, masks, and gloves when you use this solution.
- Take one liter of lukewarm water and add three tablespoons of alcohol to it
- Mix well
- Dip a sponge or cloth and mop away the floor
- Again mop away the floor with only warm water
- Now use a clean, dry cloth and clean the residue and let the floor dry.
04. Black Soap:
Black soap is also a good option. But, sometimes, its aggressive nature may tarnish the look instead of making vinyl floors shine. So be careful when you use it.
- Mix 2 tablespoon of black soap in 2-liter water
- Dip a mop into the solution, wring it well and clean the floor with it
- Mope once again with plain warm water
- Use a cloth and mop away the left residue
05. Egg Yolk:
Surprised? Egg yolk is an excellent cleaner and makes floors shiny. Egg yolk has protein and fat that can easily remove any dirt and polish the surface.
- Mix 2 egg yolk in one bucket of water
- Mix until its a homogenous mixture
- Take a microfiber broom and dip it in the solution
- Clean the floor surface with it
- Wipe away the floor with a dry cloth to clean the residue.
Know More on Be A Cleaner
Frequently Asked Questions
Is White Vinegar Safe for Vinyl Floors?
Yes, white vinegar is safe for vinyl floors. White vinegar is harmful to porous surfaces, and it may damage the wood floors also. But vinyl floors are one kind of friendly surface for vinegar.
Can You Use Dawn Dish Soap on Vinyl Floors?
Yes, you can use dawn dish soap on vinyl floors. Dawn dish soap is a mild soap, and we know mild soap is one of the effective cleaners for floors like resilient, vinyl, linoleum, and a good choice for ceramic tile.
What Is Safe to Use on Vinyl Flooring?
Any cleaner with pH-neutral is safe to use on vinyl flooring. You can use a DIY process to clean your vinyl floors. White vinegar, apple cider vinegar, baking soda, mild soap, dish liquid, etc., are completely safe to use on vinyl floors.
Vinyl is durable, but still, it can be damaged. If you use a cleaner ammonia-based cleaner or uses an abrasive scrubber, it can harm the vinyl floor’s surface.
What Is the Ratio of Water to Vinegar for Cleaning?
The ideal ratio of water to vinegar for cleaning is 3:1. Take three parts of water and one part of vinegar in a spray bottle or one cup of vinegar and one bucket of water and mix. This is the best homemade solution for cleaning you have ever used.
How Can I Shine My Vinyl Floor without Waxing?
Many ways are there without waxing to shine your vinyl floor. You can use baby oil on your cleaning solution (vinegar and water, dish liquid and water). Or use WD-40 lubricant. You can also use jojoba oil, take a few drops of jojoba oil in a towel and rub the area with it.
What Kind of Paint to Use on Textured Vinyl Kitchen Floors to Make Them Shine?
Acrylic paint is the best to use on textured vinyl kitchen floors to make them shine. Acrylic paint gives a glossy finish to the floor surface, and experts recommend it as the perfect paint for the kitchen floor. But as the textured vinyl floors don’t accept paint well, the paint won’t last long.
We have shared all the actionable methods to make the vinyl floors shiny. Whenever you notice your floor is losing its shine, select one of the appropriate methods that feel best to you.
And keep one thing in mind, proper care and maintenance can take you a long way. If you take proper care of the vinyl floor like regular cleaning, deep cleaning, polishing, etc., it will last longer than you think.
Let us know how our article helped you, and ask us through comment if you have something more to learn.
Jessie Grisham is a writer, editor, and content strategist. She‘s also a big fan of naps, coffee, and books. Jessie has been writing and editing for over 10 years, and has worked in both the corporate and nonprofit sectors. When she‘s not busy writing or editing, you can find her spending time with her husband and two young sons.