Have you installed a travertine floor in your home? It is one kind of stone flooring that has been used for a variety of building applications. Though travertine is a form of limestone and hard like a rock, it has certain exposures. How to clean dirty travertine floors is not like other floor types. You should be considered regular maintenance because of the porous surface.
Regular maintenance can help your travertine floor last longer. Otherwise, your flooring will be discolored and stained. Within a monthly gap, you have to disinfect the travertine tiles. But you can not manipulate abrasive chemicals for cleaning because it may damage the protective sealant coat.
Table of Contents
- 1 How To Clean Dirty Travertine Floors
- 2 Frequently Asked Questions
- 3 What Is the Best Thing to Clean Travertine Floors?
- 4 Can I Use Vinegar on Travertine?
- 5 Is Travertine Hard to Maintain?
- 6 Does the Travertine Floor Need to Be Sealed?
- 7 Final Words
What Is Travertine Flooring?
Travertine is an impressive form of limestone. It comprises a marble-like surface and natural colors that make it the most fashionable stone for constructing material. Travertine tile is easier to preserve than granite and marble. To protect this tile, you need to seal it within one or two years.
Equipment For Cleaning
If you choose the right tools and products, you can easily clean the travertine floors. You have to choose the cleaning products carefully. Because travertine floors can sustain products with a pH of seven or below, harsh chemicals like bleach, vinegar can cause permanent deterioration of travertine floors.
For cleaning this type of floor, you need some cleaning products given below:
- Vacuum Cleaner
- Mop or sponge
- Mop bucket
- Microfiber cloth or towels
- Small brush for grout
- Mild floor Cleaner
- Stone sealer
- Baking soda
- Warm water
How To Clean Dirty Travertine Floors
Travertine is a durable floor type if you can maintain a cleaning routine regularly. It would help to vacuum this flooring category weekly, disinfect it monthly, and apply a stone sealer every year. Look at the step-by-step instructions to keep your floor scratch-free and clean.
- Vacuum or Sweep The Floor: First, you should use a vacuum cleaner or broom to remove dirt, debris, and long particles. Vacuum functions properly on the hard floor, integrated with a broom to collect long dirt particles.
- Mop The Floor: Take a mop bucket and warm water. Apply this warm water on the floor with a mop or sponge. Squeeze the liquid as much as possible from the mop, then wipe the floor. Damp the floor; need not saturate it. Do not walk on the wet floors, though it may create new dirt.
- Sterilize The Floor: Now, you can sterilize the floor. Bring a gallon of water and mix a tablespoon of mild floor cleaner. Wet the mop on this solution, then clean the floor. Then mop the floor the next time with clean water to discard the dirt residue if anything prevails. Use a towel to make your floor dry rapidly. You can allow the floor to air-dry.
- Scrub The Grout lines: You must use something abrasive to clean grout lines. It is complicated though the travertine floor can not tolerate harsh chemicals. Make a paste with an equal part of baking soda and water. Now apply it on the grout lines and scrub with a tiny brush. You have to avoid carefully not putting the paste on the floor.
- Seal The Floor: You have to choose the sealant based on the foot traffic. There are many types and qualities of sealer available for travertine floors. Once every year, you have to seal this floor. Be sure the floor is entirely dry before applying sealant. Now your travertine floor becomes shiny and tidy.
🛠️ Tips To Maintenance:
- Do not apply acidic anything on the travertine floor.
- Though vinegar is a natural cleaning agent, it is not recommended for this flooring type.
- Read manufacturer instructions carefully before applying any chemical cleaners.
- You can use a steam cleaner to clean these floors.
- Travertine flooring has a porous surface so it can soak up liquids. It would help if you did not wield different liquid solutions for cleaning.
- Grout lines between tiles are considered the most vulnerable points of this flooring. Be aware of using a commercial grout cleaner if it contains any bleaching formula.
Know More on Be A Cleaner
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is the Best Thing to Clean Travertine Floors?
Mild and soap-free floor cleaner is the best thing to clean natural floor like travertine floor.
Can I Use Vinegar on Travertine?
Vinegar, lemon, orange, ammonia is applicable on travertine.
Is Travertine Hard to Maintain?
Use warm water, gentle floor cleaner, and mop to clean travertine daily. It is easier to maintain than granite.
Does the Travertine Floor Need to Be Sealed?
To avoid Travertine, you should seal this flooring every one to two years.
Travertine stone has been employed for thousands of years to build wonderful structures. It is more affordable than marble or granite. But dirty travertine is not pleasing to look at.
You must know how to clean dirty travertine floors when you install this flooring. Clogged liquids can damage this flooring, so you should clean it every day. If you set these tiles outside your home, be careful about the sealant.
Maintain sweeping and mopping on this floor; therefore, you can save the sealant over the years. Enjoy the complete shiny nature of travertine tiles and keep them neat and sterile.
Hi, my name is Tiffany. I am a cleaner worker that specializes in all cleaning tasks for the company where I work.
In this blog to share my tips and tricks with others who love cleanliness.