A fabric sofa enhances the beauty of your drawing room. It’s one of the most popular sofas all around the world. It’s affordable, durable, comfortable, and light on the eyes.
The sofa is where we spend most of our time—starting from eating to lying on it, everything we do here. Kids do jumping, sit on the sofa and watch TV, and make it a mess.
Although a fabric sofa is an excellent option to decor our home, the matter of concern is its cleaning. Cleaning a fabric sofa is a little challenging as we have to be extra cautious while cleaning a fabric sofa.
If a fabric sofa once gets a stain, it becomes difficult to remove it. Some of us rub it in hopes of getting out of it, but it instead spreads around and causes more damage. And if it’s about cleaning upholstery without water, it’s a matter of worry.
No need to be worried when we are here. We have researched and found some awesome actionable ways to clean your fabric sofa without using any water.
Let’s know some best ways to clean fabric sofa without water.
3 Tricky Ways to Clean a Fabric Sofa without Using Water
Different types of sofas need different types of cleaning. To check which type of cleaning your sofa support, check on the tag. If it comes with “W,” it means it supports water. But if it has “X,” it means this sofa needs only dry cleaning. Using water is restricted to cleaning the couch. Bit worried? How can you clean a fabric sofa without water?
When we first think of cleaning anything, the first needed item is water. Then how can we think about cleaning fabric sofa without using any water?
Many fabric sofa cleaning methods are available. Scroll down to know more.
01. Baking Soda:
Baking soda is the most popular and traditional way to get rid of any stain. When you want to clean your fabric sofa without using any water, you can blindly rely on baking soda.
Baking soda is a clean agent that cleans any dirt naturally without any damage and removes bad smells. Let’s know how to use it.
- First, vacuum the sofa to make it free of any dirt and dust.
- Take some baking soda and spread a thin layer on the sofa surface.
- Use a bristle brush and scrub all the surface, and until the stain disappears, keep doing it.
- Leave it for one hour.
- Once the time is up, take the help of a vacuum cleaner and remove all the baking soda residue.
This whole process is free from any use of water. Try once and let us know if it works or not.
Vinegar is another cleaning agent that can clean a fabric sofa without any help from water. It’s a natural home remedy that won’t damage the couch. You can try it to clean your sofa.
Using vinegar is simple, it vanishes dirt and stains faster. And when you mix some olive oil with it, it becomes powerful.
- Take some vinegar and olive oil equally on a spray bottle, mix it well
- Spray the solution on the sofa surface
- Scrub for five minutes with a bristle brush
- Let the sofa surface soak it
- Then use a microfiber cloth to wipe away the residue
After using these natural remedies, if the fabric sofa isn’t cleaned, you can take help from alcohol. Alcohol is a hard cleaning agent. It can clean your fabric sofa without water.
But you have to make sure the couch doesn’t take moisture from alcohol. If it gets the moisture, it will be damaged.
- Pour some alcohol into a spray bottle.
- Spray it from one hand away by wearing a mask and gloves
- Rub the sofa surface for five minutes, then wipe away the residue with a piece of cloth or paper napkin.
If none of these tricks can show magic you can use waterless fabric cleaner for sofas. You will find many fabric sofa cleaners in the market, select one of them and clean your sofa without any use of water.
Know More on Be A Cleaner
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do You Prevent Water Stains on Fabric?
Having stains of water on fabric is nothing new. But this problem can be solved just by following three steps.
- When you use water to clean the fabric, try to use as minimal water as you can.
- Use that minimal water to rinse the residue thoroughly. If any residue of soap is left, it can create a stain on the fabric also.
- Start the drying process just after the cleaning is done. Use a fan or hairdryer to dry the fabric faster.
How Do You Get Brown Water Stains out Of Fabric?
To get brown water stains out of fabric, you can use a DIY process or cleaner. We will recommend using the DIY method first. If it doesn’t work, then use a professional waterless sofa cleaner.
Make a solution of distilled vinegar, baking soda, lemon juice, and some water. Mix them all and put them in a spray bottle. Spray the mixture solution on the brown stain and leave it for one hour. After one hour, use a damp cloth to wipe away the residue.
Use a hairdryer or a fan to dry the fabric. (Or use a sponge and wipe away the solution until the stain becomes light. Repeat the process if needed).
How Can I Clean My Fabric Sofa Naturally?
To clean your fabric sofa naturally, you will need only two ingredients, distilled vinegar, and baking soda.
- Mop away all the dirt residue from the sofa,
- Make a solution: take two cups of distilled water, one tablespoon baking soda, and one tablespoon of vinegar. Mix them all in a bucket.
- Take a sponge and dip it into the solution. Wring it well and wipe away the fabric sofa with it.
- After the cleaning is done, use a clean cloth to wipe away the solution residue and leave it to dry for ten minutes.
Can I Use Laundry Detergent to Clean My Couch?
Yes, you can use laundry detergent to clean your couch if the couch supports a water-based cleaner. Usually, laundry detergents are usable and effective on microfiber couches.
Check the tag you got with your sofa; if it has “W,” it means it’s water-based cleaner supportable. Then you can use laundry detergent, shampoo, dish liquid, or any water-based cleaner for cleaning upholstery sofa.
- Take half a cup of laundry detergent and one gallon of water. Mix them until bubbles show up.
- Dip a cloth or sponge into it and start scrubbing the couch surfaces with it.
- Leave it for ten to fifteen minutes
- Use a clean cloth and wipe away the residue
- Dry it immediately with a fan or hairdryer
Can I Clean My Couch with Soap and Water?
Yes, you can clean your couch with soap and water, but only if your sofa has a code “W.” if the tag comes with a “W,” which means you can clean your couch with water.
- Take one bucket of warm water and add mild soap like Dove, Neutrogena, or dish liquid. Mix them well
- Take the help of a sponge or clean cloth, dip it in the solution and wipe away the couch surface with the soapy water.
- Then use a paper towel or clean cloth to wipe the residue.
- Leave it to dry for ten to fifteen minutes.
We have presented the best three ways to clean a fabric sofa without water. Try them and let us know how it works. Further, keep in mind regular maintenance like mop away any spills can save you from the hard effort of cleaning a fabric sofa.
So try to clean immediately whenever something falls on the couch. Wash the couch once a month thoroughly. If you can’t clean on yourself, take help from a professional cleaner once a year.
I am Evan Jr. Wilson, a professional cleaner. Working as a cleaner, I involve every cleaning task like scrubbing, washing, brushing, sweeping, tidying, vacuuming, mopping, and polishing.
From cleaning the house to work areas & machinery, I have experienced cleaning every space.